Medical Assistant/Surgical Tech
JOB TITLE: Medical Assistant/Surgical Tech
STATUS: Full-time, Non-exempt
REPORTS TO: Physician or Nursing Supervisor
DATE: January 29, 2013
The Medical Assistant/Surgical Tech functions under the supervision and guidance of the Nursing Supervisor or Physician and participates in the multi-disciplinary process of providing care and treatment to patients and provides clinical support and technical assistance to the professional medical and other staff. Individual must be able to manage demanding workload with accuracy. Position requires excellent customer service skills with patients, and their families, other staff, physicians, vendors, and the public.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting physicians with patient office visits, including putting patients in rooms, interviewing patients, recording vital signs including pulse rate, blood pressure, height and weight, and enters information in patient’s electronic medical record.
- Performs select clinical tests including, but not limited to; urinalysis, urine culture and sensitivity, pregnancy tests, blood glucose monitoring, bladder scans, uroflow, and urodynamics. Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
- Organizes exam rooms, including general cleaning, upkeep, and re-stocking of supplies.
- Sterilizes, packages, and autoclaves instruments, using proper sterilization protocols.
- Assists physicians with office based procedures and office based procedures under anesthesia by setting up proper equipment for specific procedures; participating in time out procedure; assisting in actual procedure.
- Carries out medical and surgical asepsis during treatments and special procedures.
- Demonstrates appropriate use of Red Bag Waste.
- Labeling and processing patient specimens as needed, including tracking specimens in appropriate logs.
- Demonstrates appropriate hand washing technique to insure proper infection control and follows universal precautions.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Other duties as assigned
- Position requires current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- Travel to any of the Premiere Medical Group locations may be necessary upon request.
- Medical/Assistant/Surgical Tech will report to the Nursing Supervisor
Click here to download this job description