What is diabetes?
Diabetes mellitus is a chronic metabolic condition that occurs when the body has excess glucose and cannot process the glucose normally. Glucose is one of the body’s primary sources of energy for essential functions and organs. After the body breaks down glucose from the food you eat, the pancreas releases insulin to allow the glucose to enter the bloodstream and serve as energy. Diabetes impacts this processing function because the body either does not produce enough insulin or does not properly use the insulin. The result of diabetes is too much glucose (sugar) in the bloodstream, which often leads to conditions like heart disease, vision problems, and kidney disease.
About 1 in 10 Americans have diabetes, and nearly 90% to 95% percent of all cases are type 2, with the remaining 5% to 10% being type 1 or gestational diabetes. There is no cure for diabetes, but there are effective treatments and management techniques that help a person live with the condition.